Social Media Specialist
Company: Indiana University
Posted on: January 16, 2022
DepartmentVP COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING
(UA-VPCM-IUBLA)Department InformationIU Studios is the central
Marketing and Communications unit at Indiana University and
includes the University Events and Conferences teams. Our insights
and technology-driven teams serve as strategic consultants
throughout the university, with a central mission to create
experiences that lead to a lifelong love for IU.Job Summary
- This role is a strategic marketing and analytics provider that
specializes in the use of social media to share information, help
lead integrated marketing communications campaigns, paid and
organic, and build brand awareness of the IU Bloomington brand
among key internal and external audiences. This person could also
be tapped to occasionally help with advancing the IU and IUPUI
- Social media represents one of the fastest-growing forms of
organizational storytelling and have become critically important
tools to the university's communications organization as it works
to share the IU story and promote the brand to key constituents,
especially prospective and current students.
- This position is responsible for reviewing what is working and
what needs improvement, paying attention to where client audiences
are spending most of their time, then finding ways to engage these
audiences through a variety of social media platforms. In this
regard, the individual in this role acts very much as a strategic
communications advisor to schools and departments across IU
Bloomington. General Responsibilities:
- Develops and updates social media content and monitors brand's
social networks, responding to comments and collecting feedback
- Creates comprehensive plans for social media engagement,
including conducting market research to identify social media sites
preferred by target audiences, engaging types of posts, and peak
engagement posting times.
- Evaluates effectiveness of social media on a variety of
metrics, such as changes in website traffic, attendance at social
media marketed events, and engagement by platform, audience, and
type of post.
- Regularly consults with staff, faculty, colleagues,
departments, and/or other stakeholders to curate social media
content to specific programs, goals, audiences, and
- Ensures alignment with university mission, strategies,
objectives, and brand guidelines across all social media platforms
- May provide organizational training on social media methodology
- May provide guidance to Social Media Assistants or lower-level
Social Media Specialists. QualificationsEDUCATION Required
- Bachelor's degree in English, communications, journalism,
public relations, or a related field. WORK EXPERIENCE Required
- 2 years of experience in a relevant field. Preferred
- Marketing experience or agency experience. Combinations of
related education and experience may be considered. SKILLS Required
- Proficient communication skills.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism.
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills.
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality.
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty.
- Highly thorough and dependable.
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure.
- Video storytelling skills, including production and editing
- Mastery of paid social, including, but not limited to, Facebook
Business Manager/Ads Manager, Twitter ads.
- Experience with influencer marketing.
- Creativity coursing through their veins.
- Familiarity with third-party tools like Sprout Social, Rival
IQ, Piktochart, to name a few. A thirst for data and
- A collaborative spirit.
- A calm head during issues or crises.
- Ability to juggle several projects at once.
- Knack for identifying, understanding and implementing new
- Appreciation for college life, including events. Working
Conditions / DemandsThis role requires the ability to effectively
communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office
productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as
well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the
campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the
essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work
LocationBloomington, IndianaNote: This person would be based in
Bloomington but be expected to occasionally visit Indianapolis or
other IU campuses. Job ClassificationCareer Level: CareerFLSA:
ExemptJob Function: Marketing & CommunicationsJob Family: Social
MediaClick here to learn more about Indiana University's Job
Framework.Posting DisclaimerDue to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may
be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our
standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus
to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please
discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions
at that time. This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on
the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time
at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a
minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please
submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted
Date.If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with
your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be
provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19
vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an
exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information
page.Equal Employment OpportunityIndiana University is an equal
employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA
services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University
prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability
status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not
discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and
activities, including employment and admission, as required by
Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be
referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil
Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana
University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes
contact information.Campus Safety and SecurityThe Annual Security
and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and
fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available
online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public
Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact UsRequest
Keywords: Indiana University, Bloomington , Social Media Specialist, Advertising , Bloomington, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!