Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Posted on: October 18, 2020
Are you looking for a career that matters?
We believe every person deserves a chance for a healthy life, free
from illness and full of possibility. We see a world full of
healing, with viable care options available to those with limited
choices today. We envision new ways of providing physicians,
pharmacists and nurses with technologies that not only treat
chronic diseases, but also work to prevent them. Were looking for
team members who are motivated to learn, grow and innovate, while
making a meaningful difference for millions of people around the
Learn more about how Baxter is At the Intersection of Saving and
The Environmental, Health& Safety Manager is responsible for
ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local
environmental, health and safety regulations; ISO 14001 and 180001
Standards; and Company Policies. This position develops and
implements programs, strategies, policies, training and procedures
to reduce/eliminate risks; sustain a management system; and to
drive a culture of continuous improvement. The Environmental,
Health& Safety Manager is the primary liaison with external
environmental, health and safety regulatory agencies and with
Baxters global EHS group. This position reports to the Plant
Manager and is part of the Bloomington Senior Leadership Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (these are primary
responsibilities of the role and the incumbent will perform other
duties as assigned)
- Develop and implement programs and procedures to assure site
compliance with applicable federal, state and local environmental,
industrial hygiene and safety regulations.
- Assist operations in planning for compliance of new and
- Assist regulatory agencies in the preparation of permits and
application renewal in compliance with environmental
- Manage and provide technical guidance to the EHS staff.
- Conduct and manage risk assessments to reduce job and facility
- In collaboration with senior management, develop and implement
site policies and procedures that drive improvement in the facility
environmental, health and safety performance.
- Negotiate and secure contracts for hazardous and non-hazardous
- Primary contact for inspections, permitting and reporting to
- Develop and implement safety and environmental training
programs for current employees, newly hired personnel, and
- Responsible for regulatory and company performance reporting
according to environmental permits, RCRA, community right-to-know
and company policy.
- Oversee contractor safety programs.
- Assist with energy reduction projects, energy data monitoring
and trending, and energy management programs.
- Lead initiatives to reduce waste, greenhouse gas emissions and
natural resource use in alignment with Baxters Sustainability
- Participate in near miss, incident and accident investigation
to identify and correct the root cause using Lean techniques.
- Lead the identification of root causes of regulatory or company
non-conformances and track corrective and preventive actions for
- Manage changes at the facility that have EHS impact by
providing technical information on new or changed projects,
equipment, processes, and procedures
- Stay current on any changes in the regulations and sharing of
- Assist internal and external medical personnel and workers
compensation coordinators to manage injury/illness cases and to
maximize the potential of an effective restricted work program
where employees are safely and quickly brought back to productive
and legitimate work, consistent with medical restrictions.
- Coach employees, supervision and local leadership to improve
the technical skill base in environmental, health and safety
- Formulate and implement local environmental, health, safety and
security strategies and procedures to be followed by local
personnel, who are designed to identify and resolve risks; are in
compliance with local, state and federal safety, health and
environmental laws and regulations; and are consistent with Baxter
global policies and procedures.
- Provide technical guidance to manufacturing, engineering and
quality control groups through participation in safety
- Act as Incident Commander for facility chemical emergency
response team for clean-up of hazardous material spills, which
involves 24-hour on-call status.
- Manage the EHS Department budget and control spending to meet
Job Requirements (Education and Experience)
- Bachelors Degree required in Environmental, Safety or related
field. Masters degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years related experience which should include
leadership experience through direct supervision or indirect
leadership roles (project management, leading teams,
- Must be knowledgeable in EPA, OSHA, and DOT regulations.
- Must hold a registered professional certification in the
environmental or safety field (i.e. CHMM, CSP, or CIH)
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and
the ability to use enterprise software (examples include: JDE,
BPLM, Pilgrim, Trackwise, etc.)
Physical / Safety Requirements
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up
to 50 pounds
- Must be able to wear a respirator and emergency response
- Position may require standing or walking for extended periods
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified
applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender,
national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or
any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable
accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a
medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable
accommodation for any part of the application or interview process,
please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know
the nature of your request along with your contact
Keywords: Baxter, Bloomington , Environmental Health & Safety Manager, Executive , Bloomington, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!