Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Location: North Vernon
Posted on: March 14, 2023
Why Choose Us?
Novolex is a leader in packaging innovation, choice and
sustainability. We manufacture products in paper, plastic and
sustainable materials for the food, retail, health and industrial
Our Sustainability Commitment
The Novolex sustainability vision is built upon three pillars: our
products, our operations and our people. Each is critically
important to our growth and future as a business. These pillars
form the foundation of our company-wide commitment to
sustainability, helping us achieve our ambitious goals through our
How You'll Perform the Role
Essential Functions & Key Responsibilities:
- Advance initiatives which promote and sustain the safety,
health, security, and welfare of all personnel.
- Develop, deploy, and monitor all EHS programs, procedures,
policies, and standards in a manner that ensures compliance to
Federal, State, Local, Customer, and align with Corporate EHS
- Provide focus, direction, leadership, and technical expertise
to the various tactical teams (Plant Safety Lead Teams; High Risk
Teams - Ergonomic, Electrical Protection, Fall Protection, Mobile
Equipment, Guarding; Storm/Waste Water Pollution Prevention, SPCC,
Behavioral-Based Safety Training Team.)
- Implement and administer an internal EHS hazard/risk assessment
and compliance auditing process designed to validate adherence to
'best known' standards and practices.
- Implement and administer a root cause analysis
procedure/process design to reveal and capture intellectual wisdom
from all near miss and/or failure occurrences.
- Communicate post incident / near miss findings (written/verbal:
Incident Flash; Detailed Incident Investigation; and phone / net
- Develop, implement, and institutionalize a process to identify
and eliminate high risk occurrences through review of historical
incident data; leading/warning indicators; plant, process, and
equipment audits; job and activity observations; and highly
specified JSA's and SWI's.
- Stimulate and cultivate "a zero-incident mentality" throughout
- Provide applicable management/agency notification, oversight,
interface, and coaching.
- Proactively work with the HR Manager in the administration of
Workers Compensation case management.
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of all environmental reports
(Air Emission Summary, TRI, Tier II, SWPPP, deviation reports, and
waste disposal both hazardous and non-hazardous, etc).
- Develop, report, and ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all
related leading and lagging performance and success
- Assess and evaluate plant EHS connections and make
recommendations to the Plant Manager regarding strategies to remedy
training, skills, or performance deficiencies.
- This job description is an overview of key responsibilities,
not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and
activities will vary based on current projects and initiatives
within the plant and Novolex's EHS Department.
What We Need From You
- BS Degree in Occupational Safety and Health,
Mechanical/Chemical Engineering, Business/Organizational Management
or related field preferred.
- Related post-education training, certifications such as CIH,
CSP, CPEA, or CHMM preferred.
- 5 or more years of experience implementing EHS standards,
training and legal compliance in a manufacturing environment
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be
- Self-motivated, organization skills, and ability to
- Demonstrated experience in leading cultural change across a
facility; experienced in leveraging multiple approaches to helping
people adopt and implement sustained change in a manufacturing
- Demonstrated experience in leading continuous improvement
activities and programs, leveraging processes, tools, and best
practices in a manufacturing environment.
- Excellent "soft skills" in communicating effectively with all
levels of the organization.
- Effective in influencing change across functional and
- Budget/cost management; strategic planning and leadership
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power
Point, Outlook, Microsoft Teams, etc).
What You'll Get From Us
With safety as our top priority and a commitment to employee
well-being an important focus, we offer comprehensive and
competitive benefits that include medical, dental and vision
insurance (including Telehealth options) as well as a variety of
other well-being resources focused on mental, physical and
financial health. Specific benefitsand well-being programs may vary
depending on where you work.
At Novolex, giving back to the local communities that support us is
important. Our Focused Giving Program prioritizes support for
organizations whose missions promote sustainability initiatives or
address food and hunger needs. We also encourage facility level
support of activities in the communities where our employees live
Training and Development
We offer constant opportunities for advancement. From skills
development to advanced education programs, training and
development programs and courses are available through Novolex
University. Programs include company and industry training
curricula, support for formal education through the Tuition
Reimbursement Program, and a Learning Management System that
supports and enhances employee skills at all levels of the
Keywords: Novolex, Bloomington , Environmental Health and Safety Manager, Healthcare , North Vernon, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...