Lead Autonomy Software Engineer
Company: Battelle Memorial Institute
Posted on: February 22, 2021
Battelle's founding mission "to translate scientific discovery
and technology advances into societal benefit" is as relevant today
as when we opened our doors over 90 years ago. Our science and
technology enhance society's well-being and create critical
innovations that drive scientific advances for the future. We
conduct groundbreaking research and development, design and
manufacture leading-edge products, and deliver critical services
for commercial and government customers. Our work meets the needs
of the nation when it matters most, and Battelle is committed to
driving innovation today and for generations to come.-- We are
seeking a Lead Autonomy Software Engineer; position located in
Columbus, OH or Warren, MI. JOB SUMMARY Help bring our military's
vision of the next generation warfighter to reality where soldiers
operate in manned-unmanned teams with autonomous and
semi-autonomous (robot) combat vehicles! Battelle's Advanced
Mission Solutions Business Line is seeking qualified applicants for
a Lead Level Software Engineer with engineering skills and
expertise in robotics and autonomy for unmanned mobile ground
platforms. The primary work location will be at Battelle's
corporate headquarters in Columbus, Ohio or Warren, MI with travel
to client sites in various continental United States locations. The
applicant will apply software engineering and subject matter
expertise to support development, integration, testing and
evaluation for the autonomous ground combat vehicle program. This
position will require travel to several testing locations within
the continental United States to support regular platform autonomy
integration and testing events. You will be part of a team of
engineers at Battelle providing support for the program. The
position also entails direct communication with the client. This is
an engineering team leadership role that will provide hands-on
robotics engineering support as directed by the client. Typical job
activities include field testing; evaluating and optimizing
autonomy algorithms over a wide range of testing environments and
dynamic stimuli; assessing vendor software compliance against
open-architecture requirements; inspecting, integrating and
improving vendor or Government developed software modules; and
developing custom adapter modules to bridge interface, capability
and performance gaps. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain regular communications with the client's team and the
Battelle team to establish strong working relationships and
facilitate an agile approach to evolving customer
- Lead a small multidisciplinary engineering team to provide
hands-on engineering support for integration and testing needs both
at the client locations and at Battelle.
- Collaborate with the client and Battelle engineering team to
design, develop and improve ground vehicle autonomy.
- Develop and execute detailed test plans.
- Manage the physical integration of autonomous hardware
components such as environmental sensors and drive-by-wire
actuators onto ground robot platforms.
- Deploy autonomy software updates to computing systems running
on ground robot platforms.
- Capture observations and record measurable results from
integration and testing events.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field with at
least 5 years of professional experience or master's degree in
Computer Science or related field with at least 5 years of
- Proficiency with UNIX style C++ development using gcc/g++, make
build tools, and version control systems such as git.
- Ability to develop generic and modular software within a
compartmentalized autonomy architecture.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with the
ability to use standard Microsoft Office presentation tools to
communicate with client representatives and Battelle
- Ability to interface within a larger team structure that
manages programmatic and technical risks.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and physically
distributed team environment.
- Willing to travel within the continental United States.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability and willingness to obtain
and maintain a SECRET DoD Security Clearance. THE FOLLOWING IS
- Knowledge and first-hand experience in building and operating
mobile ground robot systems.
- Familiar with existing government software and architecture
standards and development efforts.
- Experience working with technical data packages and standards
- Proficiency with a Data Distribution Service such as the Robot
Operating System (ROS) software framework or the Robotic Technology
Kernel (RTK) software library in particular.
- Expertise with robotic tools such as the Joint Architecture for
Unmanned Systems (JAUS) open architecture, the UGV Interoperability
Profile (IOP) extension to JAUS, and the Autonomous Ground Vehicle
Reference Architecture (AGVRA).
- Experience with Hardware-in-the-Loop, Human-in-the-Loop, and
- Knowledge of manned and unmanned teaming concepts and latest
- Knowledge of autonomy algorithms for robot maneuverability such
as localization and world modeling (e.g., SLAM); path planning and
path following; collision detection and avoidance.
- Proficiency in physics-based 3D modeling, simulation, and
visualization tools. LEGAL DISCLAIMER The above statements are
intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed
by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills
required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply
any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written
permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department. BENEFITS
Battelle's competitive benefits program includes comprehensive
medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible
spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that
help provide financial protection for you and your family. Battelle
provides employment and opportunities for advancement,
compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit,
without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
marital status, age, genetic information, disability,
veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under
applicable Federal, state, or local law.--Our goal is for each
staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their
abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We
will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and
full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within
Keywords: Battelle Memorial Institute, Bloomington , Lead Autonomy Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Columbus, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!