Company: The Language Conservancy
Posted on: December 5, 2019
Do you enjoy the satisfaction of making a difference in the world
with the work you do? Do you like to travel? Are you known for
being able to handle complex tasks and be a problem solver? Have
you ever been called a fixer and a great communicator? Do you like
If you answered YES to these questions, we want to meet you! The
Language Conservancy, a leading nonprofit organization that works
with Indigenous communities to preserve their endangered languages,
is currently seeking a full-time, experienced Events Coordinator to
join our team.Candidates must be able to perform a variety of
standard and frequently complex administrative tasks, support the
Executive Director, and organize events for the organization while
ensuring the smooth functioning of the main office team.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:In cooperation with the Development,
Language Revitalization, and Sales Departments, the Events
Coordinator will provide coordination for successful event
management- providing a wide range of administrative leadership
related to the planning, promoting and execution of all
organizational events, conferences, tradeshows, fundraisers, galas,
product releases, Summer Institutes, workshops, board meetings,
professional development and education programs with care,
precision and professionalism.
The Events Coordinator will assume primary responsibility for event
- developing/revising registration websites and related materials
as needed for each event; Scheduling and agenda development;
- Preparing and distributing all event attendee rosters to
appropriate staff; Arranging extensive travel (international and
domestic) and other meeting logistics as required; securing
- Coordinating contracts, hotels, housing, transportation, food,
supplies, shipping, flights, rental cars, and other;
- Organizing and coordinating registration packets;
- Providing onsite registration staff support for attendees;
maintaining event supply inventory as well as the shipping and
on-site organization; managing space and equipment rental; managing
AV needs and catering;
- maintaining accurate and complete participant and financial
records and databases for all event participants or donors;
- and identifying, recruiting, training and managing high impact
volunteers who will assist the organization in increasing concern
and awareness as well as growing revenue.
The Events Coordinator will work with leadership to establish
budgets, work plans and timelines for events. Also, in coordination
with the Public Relations Manager and Development Director, the EC
will secure sponsorships and media partnerships and promote
interest in events using local resources, social media, and other
The EC must be able to communicate very well- distributing
information and maintaining extensive communication flows from the
Executive office to other TLC departments and offices and external
partners. The EC must be able to handle a variety of internal and
external requests, manage the calendar of the Executive Director,
and coordinate organizational calendars. In addition, the EC will
need to able to answers complex inquiries- requiring detailed
knowledge of departmental procedures; compose thank you letters;
and do background research. The EC must have an excellent memory
and recall, while also maintaining updated systems and contact
- Strong experience with providing a full range of high-level
independent administrative support.
- Proven skills to coordinate complex activities; including:
calendaring, travel arrangements, events, public relations,
development, special projects, and community relations in a fast
paced environment using independent judgment to organize and
prioritize office functions.
- Demonstrated ability to perform operations functions with
skills in accuracy and an attention to detail.
- Proven experience with successful event planning and
coordination of special events. Ability to handle logistics of a
wide variety of special events including meetings, fundraisers,
conferences, and workshops.
- Proven experience analyzing and identifying problems-
independently resolving discrepancies with ability to recommend
solutions, contributing effectively to support organizational
- Demonstrated strong computer skills, including high proficiency
with MS Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe
Acrobat, calendaring, and web-based registration applications.
- Demonstrated skills in utilizing a database for access to data,
data entry and data retrieval.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and as a part of a
collaborative team, to organize, and to establish job priorities to
meet deadlines and constantly changing priorities.
- Proven ability to interact and communicate effectively and
professionally with diverse clientele, including prominent figures,
international visitors and dignitaries, elected officials, faculty,
staff and students.
Three years relevant work experience in a business environment with
two years; work experience providing operational support for
program services, preferably in a non-profit or service-oriented
environment. Ability to travel to meetings and conferences at hotel
facilities or at other organizations; locations. Occasional evening
and weekend work is required. Willingness and ability to work as
Qualifications and Requirements
The Events Coordinator must have very strong organizational skills
to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with a
significant workload and changing priorities- be highly organized,
detail-oriented, efficient, and meet deadlines under pressure.
The Events Coordinator must also have:
- Excellent organizational, planning and problem-solving skills;
be a fixer;
- Ability to initiate and manage complex processes, with
high-level of attention to detail. Ability to work and make
judgments independently and take initiative- Well-disciplined,
resourceful, and a self-starter.
- High level of integrity and initiative. Strong general
administrative office skills, including typing, computer
competency, data entry, operating office equipment, answering
phones. Knowledge of administrative procedures, such as
coordination of people and resources, planning, and resource
- Understanding of fundraising best practices, and organizing and
planning special events.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills,
including maturity, and flexibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with
external contacts and staff at all levels, while also maintaining
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong
business writing skills for drafting, editing/proofing routine
- Willing and able to travel in US and Canada- approx. 1-2 times
per month. (Approx 14 weeks total)
The EC must have a background or interest in nonprofit or advocacy
work and commitment to the mission of the TLC. The EC must have a
Bachelor's degree and at least 3 years; prior office experience
providing administrative support; experience in a policy, legal or
corporate office environment is a plus and education and experience
in nonprofit special event fundraising. Previous experience with
development, grants, or international organizations is also a
plus.The EC must also have:
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, early
mornings and occasional weekends.
- Ability to travel as needed to perform job duties.
- Ability to lift and move up to 30 lb.
- Must have valid driver's license, vehicle insurance and
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic.
Job Type: ContractJob Type: Full-time
Keywords: The Language Conservancy, Bloomington , Events Coordinator, Other , Bloomington, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!