Student Services Coordinator
Company: Indiana University
Posted on: November 23, 2021
DepartmentBIOCHEMISTRY (BL-BIOC-IUBLA) Department
InformationMolecular and Cellular Biochemistry is a modern, vibrant
academic science department offering both undergraduate and
graduate programs. We are housed in Simon Hall, a multidisciplinary
science building strategically located between the departments of
Biology, Chemistry, Medical Sciences, and Physics. This location
mimics the goals of our department, which is to build scientific
bridges between these various disciplines by stimulating
interdisciplinary research among different fields.Our department
continues to grow, with a number of faculty researchers and
teachers who utilize leading-edge physical and structural biology
methodologies to address exciting questions in the life sciences.
Our areas of expertise are broad and include such sub-disciplines
as structural virology, chromosome biochemistry, and the analysis
of membrane receptors.More information about the Department of
Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry at Indiana University may be
found here.The College values diversity, equity, and inclusion as a
core strength and essential element in the success of its
educational mission. For the full diversity statement, click
here.Job SummaryDepartment-Specific Responsibilities:
- Provides management of student services for the
Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Graduate Program and Molecular Life
Sciences Undergraduate Program.
- Performs the duties of Scheduling Officer, Enrollment
Management, Graduate Recruitment, Admissions Coordinator, Event
Coordinator, Program Website Editing and Updating,
- Provides administrative Support for Director of Graduate
Services (DGS) and Director of Molecular Life Sciences and
- Manages graduate enrollment each academic semester, ensuring
individual student compliance with program requirements.
- Creates and maintains records for graduate students (current
active enrollment of 50) for the entire career of their graduate
- Utilizes proper encoding and storage of critical data in
student records database.
- Responsible for the student adherence to the Undergraduate
Services (UGS) bulletin guidelines.
- Maintains working knowledge and understanding of the College of
Arts and Sciences and Undergraduate Services (UGS) academic
structure and individual degree/program designs and
- Initiates and processes various E-docs including, but not
limited to, Undergraduate Services (UGS) forms (PhD and MS
- Administers aspects of general student advising on degree
requirements and planning.
- Administers aspects of instructional effort, including
arrangements for enhancing promotion of graduate degree offerings
and student recruitment.
- Reports to Director of Graduate Services (DGS) on Department
enrollments. Administer revisions in section sizes and authorize
updates on enrollment capacity and/or cancellations.
- Analyzes enrollment trends and advise Chair, Molecular Life
Sciences Director and DGS on optimal use of resources to meet
student demand for courses.
- Position requires knowledge of curricular issues for
instruction and mastery of SIS, IUIE, College-based and University
Graduate School systems.
- Monitors registration activities; adjust course schedules as
needed. Requests additional resources as needed to meet student
demand for courses.
- Manages wait-list, drop/add activities, eGrade changes, Course
Permission, Acts as Grade Proxy for Research Credit Hour courses,
- Develops, builds and maintains the schedule of classes in close
association with Biochemistry DGS and the Molecular Life
- Schedules classes. Coordinates with Biology and Chemistry for
joint offered courses.
- Coordinates classes with all faculty and resolves
- Communicates with registrar for changes of course listings,
changes in time, room availability, etc.
- Acts as liaison to other departments within COAS that discuss
and make recommendations concerning class scheduling and enrollment
- Processes New Course Requests, Course Change Requests, attend
all registrar training courses.
- Reserves rooms and resolves conflicts.
- Processes Teaching Evaluations for Instructors and AI's.
Maintains files and databases.
- Recruits potential graduate students, domestic and
- Conducts GRE database searches.
- Coordinates with AGEP " Get You into IU" recruiting effort
- Works with IU Printing services for printing and bulk mailings
of recruitment material.
- Coordinates with International Services/Admissions
International Student applicants.
- Sets up Skype conference call appointments for Admission
interviews with international applicants.
- Reimburses international candidates travel expenses through
FMS/KFS on an as needed basis.
- Attends all meetings and training sessions held by the College
of Arts and Sciences and University Graduate School and keeps up to
date with processes.
- Analyzes data bases, such as IUIE, SIS , and eApplication.
- Processes graduate applications and uploads information from
various data bases.
- Reviews application materials and secures necessary required
- Creates and manages OnCourse projects for Admission Committee
review of applicants.
- Works with International students' special requirements and
- Provides other admission /enrollment administration as required
by the Programs.
- Facilitates nominees for Underrepresented Minority
- Plans, publicizes, and executes all aspects of events for the
department, including graduate student orientation, workshops,
public lectures, conferences, award ceremonies, faculty/staff
retreats, and receptions. Negotiates contracts with vendors,
catering, audio visual and special needs equipment, and selects
menus, chooses room formats, and designs diagrams for special
setups and registration. Requests hospitality codes. Processes
reimbursements guest may incur. Reserves transportation services on
an as needed basis. Manages and maintain listserv. Manages BMB
(BIOC Journal Club) seminars. Creates and sends out
- Assists with administrative needs related to the daily
operations, planning, and implementation of various or multiple
student services initiatives. Performs duties such as attending a
front desk, answering phones and email, and delivering messages and
- Serves as a liaison to campus partners for cross-departmental
student services initiatives, providing information, securing space
reservations, scheduling planning meetings, and providing necessary
- Provides assistance to student participants, stakeholders,
faculty, and/or staff; acts as a resource by analyzing information,
providing documentation, and preparing reports. Accurately
maintains electronic records and databases.
- Provides directions, support, and information to student
organization representatives and other visitors to the
- Assists with daily scheduling, training, and gathering of
student feedback. May prepare and disseminate handouts,
presentations, or other materials.
- May assist with ordering or creation of promotional materials
for student organizations or departmental needs.
- May provide guidance to other Student Services
- High school diploma or GED. WORK EXPERIENCE Required
- 2 years of experience in an office environment, higher
education, or related field.SKILLS Required
- Proficient communication skills.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism.
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills.
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality.
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic
- Highly thorough and dependable.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Commitment to working with people of diverse backgrounds and
demonstrated cultural competency. Preferred
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Knowledge of university systems, policies, and procedures.
Working Conditions / DemandsThis role requires the ability to
effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other
standard office productivity equipment. The position involves
sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office
environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to
perform the essential functions with or without an
accommodation.Work LocationBloomington, IndianaAdvertised
Salary$15.00 - $15.40 per hour.Job ClassificationCareer Level:
IntermediateFLSA: NonexemptJob Function: Student ServicesJob
Family: Student Services GeneralistClick here to learn more about
Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting DisclaimerDue to the
COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working
conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the
ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are
invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns
regarding the working conditions at that time. This posting is
scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date.
This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the
University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days.
To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application
within 5 business days of the Posted Date.If you wish to include a
cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading
attachments.New employees will be provided with information
regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which
includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more,
view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment
OpportunityIndiana University is an equal employment and
affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic
information, marital status, national origin, disability status or
protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate
on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities,
including employment and admission, as required by Title IX.
Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the
U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the
university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of
Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus
Safety and SecurityThe Annual Security and Fire Safety Report,
containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all
Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also
request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com
or by visiting IUPD.Contact UsRequest SupportTelephone:
Keywords: Indiana University, Bloomington , Student Services Coordinator, Other , Bloomington, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!