Systems Programmer / Analyst
Company: Indiana University
Posted on: November 22, 2021
DepartmentVICE PRES INFORMATION TECHNLGY
(UA-VPIT-IUBLA)Department InformationAt University Information
Technology Services (UITS) we ensure a workplace that encourages
growth, flexibility, and creativity, as well as a culture that
champions inclusion, diversity, and overall employee well-being
through programs supported university wide. Our core values define
who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which helps us to
make amazing things happen in each neighborhood, community, and
county we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in
each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. The
Scalable Compute Archive (SCA) - both a software suite and the team
that manages it - builds, delivers, and operates customized web
applications integrated with secure data management systems and
scientific software application pipelines. We are a part of the
Research Technologies division of UITS at Indiana University.Job
- Provides experienced analysis and programming related to the
design, development, and support of systems.
- Consults with stakeholder(s) to define system requirements,
problems, and proposals; conducts detailed studies, presents
detailed requirements/designs to the stakeholder(s), and obtains
agreement and approval for proposed updates/changes.
- Prepares conversion and systems implementation plans and
schedules; translates system design to detailed program
- Documents systems analysis and programming efforts (changes,
new functionality, issue/problem resolution); performs system unit
and integration testing and presents final test results to
stakeholder(s) and/or leadership.
- Researches and stays up-to-date with new standards, tools, and
emerging technology and services and makes recommendations for
possible short-term, mid-term or long-term integration.
- Ensures that all protocols used in the design and programming
of systems are up to date and compliant with university policies
and standards. Specific department responsibilities:
- Deploys and secures Linux server systems on both physical and
virtual infrastructure, running a number of industry standard and
completely custom complex services.
- Works with stakeholders and developers to identify complex
system needs including security concerns, resource requirements,
needed software and dependencies and implement them in the final
- Cooperatively works with domain experts, cybersecurity
specialists and other groups within Research Technologies to build
effective, optimal, and secure solutions for IU research needs
while aligning with compliance regimes and control frameworks.
- Diagnoses and solves unforeseen problems with physical systems,
virtual machines, or operating systems / services quickly and
efficiently. QualificationsEDUCATION Required
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in computer science or a related
field). WORK EXPERIENCE Required
- 2 years of systems programming/analysis or related experience.
- Experience professionally administering Linux-based
- Experience scripting with Bash and/or Python; managing web
servers, web services and associated dependency stacks (e.g. LAMP);
with configuration management systems and software version
- Experience securing Linux systems via network and filesystem
access controls, system and service monitoring, backups for data
and service recovery.
- Experience collaboratively supporting IT needs of distinguished
researchers or research labs.
- Experience with log analytics, managing virtual machines,
hypervisors and containers, managing bare-metal, on-premise server
- Professional experience administering Red Hat Enterprise Linux
or derivative operating systems.
- Experience handling sensitive data, file access monitoring,
compliance regimes and industry standard control frameworks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of securing industry standard web
servers, Linux kernel configuration and pseudofilesystems.
- Experience managing Microsoft Windows servers in addition to
professional Linux administration experience. Combinations of
related education and experience may be considered. SKILLS Required
- Proficient communication skills.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism.
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills.
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality.
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty.
- Highly thorough and dependable.
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure.
Working Conditions / DemandsThis role requires the ability to
effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other
standard office productivity equipment. The position involves
sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office
environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to
perform the essential functions with or without an
accommodation.Work LocationBloomington, Indiana or Indianapolis,
IndianaThis position has the potential for a remote work
arrangement. Job ClassificationCareer Level: CareerFLSA: ExemptJob
Function: Information TechnologyJob Family: Sys Admin, Engineer &
ProgramClick here to learn more about Indiana University's Job
Framework.Posting DisclaimerDue to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may
be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our
standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus
to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please
discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions
at that time. This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on
the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time
at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a
minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please
submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted
Date.If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with
your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be
provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19
vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an
exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information
page.Equal Employment OpportunityIndiana University is an equal
employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA
services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic
information, marital status, national origin, disability status or
protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate
on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities,
including employment and admission, as required by Title IX.
Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the
U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the
university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of
Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus
Safety and SecurityThe Annual Security and Fire Safety Report,
containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all
Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also
request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by visiting IUPD.Contact UsRequest SupportTelephone:
Keywords: Indiana University, Bloomington , Systems Programmer / Analyst, Professions , Bloomington, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!